This policy applies to all information collected or submitted on the Origin apps for iPhone and any other devices and platforms.
What we collect or store, and why
New accounts are created anonymously, without email addresses or passwords. You may optionally add an email address and a password to your account, or remove the email address and password from your account. Email addresses are only used for logging in, password resets, responding to emails that you initiate, and sending notifications that you request. We don’t send promotional emails.
We store information about:
- Information you submit to us during the creation of your account, to identify you within the application.
- A unique identifier that is tied to the current installation of the application on your device. This unique identifier is what we refer to when we use ‘you’ in the remainder of this document unless otherwise specified. This is how we tie actions you perform within the application to you.
- The barcodes that you scanned (or entered) and when, so that we may keep you abreast of any of its changes.
- Origin Information you submitted and when you did so, to ensure origin traceability of submitted information.
- When you demand origin information directly from a manufacturer, we record that you did so, for which product, when you did so, and through which contact method; we do not store or retain the contents of those origin demands you send to the manufacturers. We store this information in order to have an aggregate overview of the community’s engagement level and to be able to report back to you when a product’s declaration status changes.
- When you demand origin information anonymously, we record that you did so, for which product, and when; we store this information to be able to report back to you when a product’s declaration status changes.
Our server software also stores basic technical information, such as your IP address, in temporary memory and/or logs.
The app collects aggregate, anonymous statistics, such as the percentage of users who use particular features, to improve the app.
We use the information we collect to operate and improve our app, the website, and customer support.
We may delete your information at any time and for any reason, such as technical needs, legal concerns, abuse prevention, removal of idle accounts, data loss, or any other reason.
We use third-party tools, frameworks, and libraries to ensure the quality of this application. These have their own independent privacy policies, and we have no responsibility or liability for their content or activities. The following is a non-exhaustive list of third-party tools, frameworks, or libraries that are used by this application:
- Bitrise: https://www.bitrise.io/privacy
- Heroku: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/security-privacy-compliance
- Papertrail by SolarWinds: https://www.solarwinds.com/legal/privacy
- Scout APM: https://scoutapm.com/privacy
- Sentry: https://sentry.io/privacy/
For performance and overload protection, we may direct traffic through a Content Delivery Network before it reaches our servers. They have access to some basic technical information to perform this role, such as your IP address.
Who we share it with
We do not share personal information with outside parties.
We may disclose your information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal requirements; to exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud or abuse, violations of our policies; or to protect our rights and property.
We implement a wide variety of security measures and apply industry best-practices to help keep your information secure. For instance, all communication with the app and website requires HTTPS. Passwords are hashed, not stored, using industry-best-practice methods.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We comply with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our website is structured to attract anyone under 13.
Information for European Union Customers
By using the app and/or our website and providing your information, you authorize us to collect, use, and store your information outside of the European Union.
International Transfers of Information
Information may be processed, stored, and used outside of the country in which you are located. Data privacy laws vary across jurisdictions, and different laws may be applicable to your data depending on where it is processed, stored, or used.